Jackie is always sharing very interesting and smart examples on how to use technology in classrooms. In this article she is illustrating what Learner Agency is – a great post for both educators and parents, these last playing – my opinion – the most important role in educating the citizens of tomorrow.
Early in my training as an educator, I was exposed to William Glasser’s conceptualization of basic human needs and their importance in creating a healthy educational setting. They are:
- Belonging – Fulfilled by loving, sharing, and cooperating with others
- Power – Fulfilled by achieving, accomplishing, and being recognized and respected
- Freedom – Fulfilled by making choices
- Fun – Fulfilled by laughing and playing
They resonated deeply and made sense to me. Instructional strategies and learning activities should build in ways for learners to get these needs met.
The needs of freedom and power are of special note to this essay/topic:
- Freedom – This is the need to choose how we live our lives, to express ourselves freely, and to be free from the control of others. Helping students, especially younger ones, satisfy this need does not mean giving them the freedom to do whatever they want to do…
View original post 1.179 altre parole